Summary of Job:
As Senior Director of Operations, you will be responsible for the business, workflow and people operations that enable 2U’s Creative Studios to produce industry-defining work. Success in this role, lies in problem solving through relationships to achieve the broader company priorities, which is to ensure 2U is affiliated with creative effectiveness and innovation in edtech.
Through the use of data and with a strong understanding of the fundamentals of the creative and production process including business operations (budget, legal and procurement), creative resourcing, studio operations and production best practices, your role will enable the studio to efficiently and effectively service the broader 2U business across multiple product lines. You will work closely with a diverse team of local and global stakeholders (Systems & Tech, Finance, Brand, Marketing and Learning teams) to optimise and scale processes focused on creative production to ensure cost-effective and high quality output.
Problem-solving, effective partnering and an ability to thrive in complexity and chaos is paramount. Juggling is also a win.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
Your role will be divided into three key areas and will be executed in close partnership with the VP of Creative Studios and the VP of Operations:
Business Operations 50%:
- Evaluate and analyse divisional and departmental productivity and performance and recommend actions to drive efficiency to improve business profit margin.
- Provide operational direction to assist in solving any challenges Creative Studios may face.
- Review and set divisional financial budgets with the Vice President of Creative Studios and the departmental managers based on growth trajectory and business needs.
- Assess and optimise product line success metrics and provide monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
Workflow Operations 40%
- Evaluate, analyse and plan the integration of Creative Studios workflow across departments to drive business and divisional alignment.
- Identify new opportunities for engagement that positively impact how Learning Experience and Marketing work with creative production in the short course business.
- Create effective workflows for how the studio works to service post production in the learning teams for grad and bootcamp product lines.
- Optimise these engagements by continuously leveraging data insights to enable further impact.
People Operations 10%
Work with your talent business partner to:
- Manage a team of operation managers and resource coordinators.
- Execute talent-initiated strategies that maximise employee engagement and diversity.
- Foster a “growth mindset” culture to ensure collaboration, accountability and ownership of the business throughout the team.
- Lead through Relationships and live out 2U’s Guiding Principles.
Education and Experience:
- Years experience:
- 10+ years industry-relevant experience
- 5+ years experience in operations management, leadership and people management
- Specific Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field is required. Graduate degree preferred (business, management, sciences).
Additional required skills:
- Demonstrated team leadership skills (coaching and facilitation) and the ability to work independently as required.
- Strong organisational, time management, planning, and creativity skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees (including Senior Management), with a high customer service focus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Future-focused, purpose-driven and high Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and Adaptability Quotient (AQ).
Lead and manage a team of Operations Managers and Resource Coordinators; aligned to the overall SC Operations structure and requirements.
Support the Creative Studios Leadership team.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.