Summary of Job:
The purpose of a mid-level content writer is to research, ideate and write marketing content collateral, of an industry-leading standard, that supports the company's marketing goals and adheres to the 2U brand and University Partner style guides.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
Content creation: Execute a range of content creation tasks including: infographics, quizzes, guides, videos, presentations and articles for distribution across a variety of marketing channels. Ability to research, write, and edit persuasive, SEO-optimised copy for use in a variety of content formats and across multiple marketing and media channels, in support of business goals and objectives.
Attention to detail: Respond to briefs with well-researched, error-free content that cites authoritative sources using the prescribed method.
Adherence to style and content policy: Ensure all marketing content produced follows 2U compliance standards for marketing content. Ensure content adheres to the correct tone and style - as set out by the associated Uiversity Partner or brand style guide.
Self-manage: Manage own task list and ensure all projects are delivered within the stipulated deadline.
Process driven: Ensure that all content is completed within deadline and follows the stipulated process.
Team work: Team player with an ability to collaborate with peers and external stakeholders.
Problem-solving skills: Identify potential challenges in process or brief and identify solutions. Present challenge and solution to content manager/lead.
- Effective, clear and professional communications with internal and external project stakeholders.
- Good interpersonal relationships and collaboration within Content, Creative Studios, and greater team.
- Receptive to feedback on work and conduct from manager/lead, peers and greater team.
- Ability to offer constructive and practical feedback to peers.
- Participate in training to further development.
- Raise issues/concerns with Lead/Manager.
- Review own content to ensure free of spelling and grammatical mistakes and consistent with University Partner/brand style guide.
- Providing feedback to offer peers (particularly junior peers) constructive feedback to improve writing from a content flow, style guide.
- Give informal guidance/mentorship to junior content writers.
- Lead specific knowledge share sessions at team forum at Manager's discretion.
Initiative and conceptual thinking:
- Conceptualise content pieces that will respond to the brief.
- Liaise with key stakeholders to discuss brief and proposed angles.
- Develop innovative ideas to help improve problem areas in process or skills shortage.
- Present ideas to content manager/lead.
- Keeping up to date with content marketing trends and consistent up-skilling both formally and informally.
- Output of various content tasks.
- Ability to receive and implement feedback efficiently with minimal turnaround time.
- Positive feedback from manager/lead, peers and key stakeholders particularly brand team re content task.
- Present improvements to process to content manager/lead.
- Responds well to feedback on writing.
- Ability to implement feedback effectively.
- Tracked suggestions from peer reviews that are constructive and helpful.
- Positive feedback from peers within content, Creative Studios and greater team.
- Ad hoc presentations to peers in team forum.
- Content created free of spelling/grammar and style guide mistakes.
- Tracked feedback/suggestions/comments on peer reviewed content.
- Ad hoc knowledge share presentations at team forum such as content bimonthly.
Conceptual thinking and Initiative:
Communication with manager/lead for guidance and assistance with brief.
Content created responds to brief based on feedback from peer/manager/external stakeholder.
- Proactively presenting challenges and proposed solutions to content manager/lead.
- Sharing skills development and knowledge in a team forum such as content bimonthly (contributing to agenda with formal presentation.
Education and Experience:
A formal tertiary qualification in English/Journalism or related fields, backed by 3-5 years of working experience.
- An ability to write content that is free of grammatical and spelling mistakes, well-researched, persuasive and SEO-optimised.
- Team player who is able to work well with internal and external colleagues.
- Sounds communication skills and receptive to feedback from peers and key stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to show initiative and problem-solve proactively.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organisations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.