What We’re Looking For:
The Course Development Manager is the primary interface between 2U’s functional leads in the Production division and a remote workforce of fixed-term contractors. Through collaboration with those functional leads, this team member plans and oversees the execution of training and onboarding of fixed-term contractors across the production and maintenance teams to reduce the time to productivity.
The key metrics for this role are the following: 1) the effective onboarding and training of new recruits across the course production and maintenance teams; 2) the successful design, development and facilitation of ad hoc training as required by functional leads; and 3) the job satisfaction and return rate of fixed-term contractors.
This role reports to the VP, Learning Design & Development (Short Courses) and manages a blended workforce.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Nurture a pool of fixed-term contractors to support the Short Course Production team with new course development and maintenance.
- Facilitate and coordinate onboarding and training with fixed-term contractors to familiarise these stakeholders with 2U’s approach to online learning and the course development and maintenance processes.
- Support functional leads with the administration and performance management of a pool of fixed-term contractors by setting clear expectations about the business-critical nature of those roles.
- Initiate and lead cross-functional efforts to identify, diagnose and resolve critical issues and significant risks relating to the development and maintenance of courses within the Short Course portfolio.
- Think critically and strategically about existing processes and systems, and negotiate adaptations as needed to achieve specific goals.
Education and Experience:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Training & Development, Industrial Psychology, Human Resources, or a related field.
- Minimum 8 years’ work experience in a related field.
- Minimum 3 years in a people management position.
- Evidence of success in previous training & development roles.
- Experience in digital education or training preferred.
- Strong lateral thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.
- A high level of confidence and professionalism, and excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adjust communication style and level of detail relative to audience, from senior leaders to working teams.
- Strong negotiator who can balance and prioritize contractor requirements against budgetary and functional constraints.
Strong candidates will have a demonstrated record of success working in uncertain environments. The role requires a solutions-oriented approach in a fast-paced environment, as well as a forward-looking focus on improving systemic issues. Successful candidates will be required to understand complex and shifting processes and organisational structures, and function effectively within them.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.