GetSmarter/2U is looking for an Editor to be part of our team of over 700 in-house employees and 180 industry experts who have successfully changed the lives of over 100,000 students to date. The main purpose of the role is to deliver on the editorial quality assurance of short course content, ensuring alignment with quality standards and styles of the university and 2U. The role is focused on editing and proofreading written and multimedia course content to ensure it is error free, engaging, and accessible to the intended audience. Please note that this is an entry-level position.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Edit and proofread written and multimedia course content according to internal quality frameworks and university standards.
- Recommend and implement improvements to department processes with a focus on quality and efficiency.
- Perform quality assessment on modules, give feedback to LDs, and brainstorm solutions.
- Proofread and edit written and multimedia course material for correct grammar and spelling.
- Edit course material for logic and accuracy, removing redundant or unnecessary copy, and improving logic and structure.
- Make substantive edits involving fact-checking of obvious errors, and reviewing of formatting and layout to ensure consistency with the relevant style.
- Assess language and tone of course material to ensure that it is written at a level that is appropriate for the intended audience.
- Check documents for consistency of page numbers, figures, captions, tables, etc.
- Assist with the maintenance of the in-house and university-specific style guides to ensure adherence to industry best practice.
Education and experience:
- A university qualification in linguistics, English, journalism, publishing, law or similar, completed in English.
- Excellent written skills, including thorough knowledge of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation; and comfort working with both UK and US conventions.
- Highly skilled in using Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Google docs/sheets and Google drive.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good organisational skills: ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a high-pressured environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Editing and/or proofreading experience preferred.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.