Summary of Job:
The Internal Auditor is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day operations of activities related to the assessment, audit and improvement of processes and controls for 2U Cape Town and also implementing and maintaining Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance within 2U Cape Town reporting unit. Additionally, this individual reports functionally to 2U U.S. Internal Audit and administratively to local management in 2U Cape Town.
Reports to: Technology Internal Audit Manager
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Perform activities and tasks required of testing 2U Cape Town’s system of internal controls over financial reporting, including for SOX compliance at the direction of the 2U U.S. Internal Audit team.
- Conduct walkthroughs with process owners to identify and review key controls and risks and document into risk and control matrices (RACMs) and process flowcharts.
- Assist in maintenance of control documentation with business process owners of Finance, Software and Technology (S&T), Human Resources (HR) and other business units.
- Execute internal control testing activities for SOX and other internal audits in accordance with the 2U internal audit methodology. Assist in the continuous enhancement and improvement of such procedures
- Participate in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the internal control structure for Finance, S&T, HR and other key business units of both existing processes and developing 2U Cape Town initiatives.
- Execute internal audit fieldwork including validating and documenting results, drafting reports and confirming issues with business process owners, where appropriate.
- Assist in preparation of the audit deliverables and ensure deliverables are high quality and in line with audit standards, for reliance by external auditors.
- Communicate, both written and verbal, control analysis and recommendations with clarity, confidence and professionalism to internal and external parties that establishes credibility and facilitates a clear understanding of process and controls issues
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with business process owners across 2U Cape Town, and stay current on technical issues and emerging trends applicable to the internal control and internal audit processes in additions to changes in the business.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of financial controls (e.g., SOX requirements) and the COSO framework of internal controls
- Basic understanding of audit methodology and process analysis
- Solid process and project management skills with ability to multi-task and organize effectively
- Solid researching skills utilizing multiple on-line and off-line sources
- Able to obtain, analyze and evaluate data according to defined criteria
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Able to prioritize and meet due dates with minimal supervision
- Self-reliant and has initiative to carry out assigned tasks or improve processes
- Willingness to adapt to the many changing requirements and needs of a fast-growing company
- Proven track record of excellence, ownership and accountability
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; degree in Accounting, Finance, Internal Audit or Economics preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of total work experience
- Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or equivalent preferred
- Prior experience working in finance, accounting or compliance
Teamwork is critical to achieving success in this role. You will need to establish strong relationships with leaders across the team and within your own division.
- We don’t micromanage. So, you have to diagnose problems and brainstorm solutions without any prompts.
- There are often no existing solutions, and you will need to define them. This brings great opportunity, and we will encourage you to venture externally to set up mentoring and consulting relationships to help you.
- Things change all the time. You will find yourself being pulled in many directions and it is up to you to manage expectations and workflow processes, as well as to decide what is important and what is urgent.
- Your functional skills are as important as your skills in dealing with people. Relationships matter.
Standard, no travel expected.