What We’re Looking For:
The Senior Manager, Academic Recruitment and Development is accountable for the effective resourcing and contracting of all independent contractors that support the development and delivery of short courses, either as subject matter experts during course development or as teaching team members supporting delivery.
This role develops long-term recruitment strategies that support proactive and sustainable resourcing practices to respond to complex and changing business needs and challenges. The incumbent must provide guidance on recruitment best practices for sourcing candidates from an academic background and focus on scaling the future performance of the Academic Recruitment and Development function in line with the company's strategic plan.
The role will be required to lead and support cross-functional, collaborative projects with the Director, Academic Strategy, Academic Manager and Directors of Learning Experience in support of strategic teaching team and SME initiatives. This includes reviewing and adapting resourcing and contracting to support new teaching team models, new financial and remuneration models, and the development and evolution of new and existing product lines.
This role manages a team of recruiters, sourcers and contractors. They also serve as a key stakeholder and escalation for our University Partners as it relates to the acquisition of high quality and appropriately-credentialed teaching teams and subject matter experts.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Lead and manage a team of recruiters, contractors and sourcers. This includes performance management, training, goal-setting and career pathing.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Academic recruitment and contracting team and processes for new and existing short courses.
- Build and grow the team as the scope of work shifts.
- Serve as lead trainer for all newly hired recruiters and managers on the team.
Stakeholder Management & Communication
- Ensure clear and regular communication with key stakeholders throughout the recruitment and contracting process to manage expectations, identify key challenges and ensure proactive and predictable resourcing and contracting capability.
- Work as an advisor to and escalation point for University Partners in all matters pertaining to SME and Facilitator acquisition and contracting.
- Liaise with the US Manager of Contracting and Hiring to ensure that all global contracting goals and milestones are met.
- Work collaboratively with the Learning Experience, Academic Strategy and Academic functions in setting and meeting recruitment targets.
- Work with the Academic Strategy and Finance teams to ensure cost alignment when recruiting and contracting candidates.
- Support negotiation with teaching teams to manage cost alignment, as and when required.
Process and planning
- Create sourcing and recruiting strategies for both new and established short courses.
- Conduct research and stay abreast of key recruitment developments in support of teaching talent acquisition, hiring and retention trends, real-world issues and upcoming new university partnerships and courses.
- Identify opportunities to streamline and enhance the resourcing and contracting process to adapt to changing business demands and conditions.
- Explore and set sourcing strategies to ensure we stay on track in setting outreach targets to hit the necessary conversion rates.
- Identify and report on key metrics in Academic and SME recruitment and contracting to better understand and predict trends to inform business decisions. Metrics include, but are not limited to: time to fill, recruitment funnel, pipeline drop-off rate, churn rate etc.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in HR, Business or Communications preferred.
- 6 - 8 years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- 6 -8 years’ experience in recruiting/sourcing high level positions.
- 6 -8 years’ managing a recruitment team of at least 3 people.
- Proven contracting and contract management experience.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong customer service background.
- Strong research skills.
- Experience with Applicant Tracking Systems and reporting tools.
- Strong knowledge of LinkedIn and it’s functionality.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
- Experience supporting a fast-paced, high growth organization.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels. You should have the ability to approach each scenario from all perspectives.
- Ability to research recruiting scenarios and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to bring out other people’s potential and talents.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage information with confidence and discretion.
- Aptitude to learn about multiple short courses very quickly.
- An interest in higher education.
- A self-starter.
- A strong strategic thinker.
- Irregular work schedule required to accommodate meetings across different time zones.
- This role will primarily be sedentary using a computer, keyboard, and telephone to perform most duties.
- Academic Talent Acquisition specialist.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.