Why Join Us?
At 2U, Inc., we share a common belief that education can change lives. So when you work for 2U, you become a part of that. A team whose guiding principles are comprised of striving for excellence, having fun, being bold and fearless, and cherishing each opportunity. Want to head into work knowing you’re part of a purpose-driven company and your hard work has an impact on lives? Join us.
2U’s internship program, the 2ternship, has been a critical part of 2U's growth since the inception of the company. Many individuals, including some executive leaders, started their careers as 2terns and continue their tenure today here at 2U.
A 2ternship allows students to build skill sets in their area of interest, gain real world business experience and receive ongoing feedback to maximize their professional development. Our 2terns attend meetings with senior executives, shadow colleagues and utilize various training resources throughout their work tenure. 2terns experience this all while being a part of a diverse and inclusive organization that is working towards one common mission - making education more accessible and global.
Capetown: This is a full-time paid internship which will expose you to the world of EdTech.
As 2U grows, we aim to continue attracting top talent to this program. Check out #LifeAt2U on Instagram and Twitter to see what our culture is like and more of what our 2terns experience on a daily basis.
Information Systems and Technology Teams
2U’s IT and product management teams build and manage the technologies that enable the best learning outcomes for students enrolled in our University partner programs, as well as support technology for our 2U employees. Teams are responsible for provisioning, configuring, and maintaining both our internally and externally-facing hardware and software systems. In addition, they are responsible for any website or system a prospective student interfaces with, including our learning management system. Teams work directly with engineers, project managers, UX, product managers, and business analysts in a highly collaborative manner ensuring the best technologies are utilized to maximize performance of our technology systems.
The IT team houses many departments, including data science and analytics, cybersecurity, business systems, software engineering, and product management. Interns will align to one of these teams and assist across a variety of the main functions.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
Data Science and Analytics
Provide support for advanced data mining, statistical analysis and data modelling and other ad hoc analysis.
- Identify, analyse, and interpret trends in data.
- Assist in the creation of processes and systems to safeguard 2U’s digital assets and people.
- Resolve issues and perform daily support with regard to internal security incidents.
- Assist with auditing and measurement of security controls.
- Assist in the design and implementation of new IT-related systems and processes.
- Compile, define, and communicate business requirements and functional specifications for the implementation of business solutions.
- Analyze business processes and procedures to understand their strengths and weaknesses to determine opportunities for improvements.
- Assist in the implementation and operation of business domain products.
- Write clean and maintainable code.
- Refactor existing code.
- Assist and guide products through the full software development lifecycle in a deadline driven Agile environment, including product launch and training activities.
- Consolidate input from business stakeholders and work with engineering and design teams to drive outcomes.
- Collaborate with developers, business analysts and project managers to enable teams to meet agreed-upon deliverables.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Cape Town: Currently enrolled or have recently completed a tertiary qualification or a Learnership programme
- Broad understanding of basic computing services and IT systems
- Interest in cybersecurity, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Desire to work in the technology field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to research and understand technical documents
- Focus on achieving defined results, by being detail-oriented and exceeding goals and objectives
- Ability to multitask, switch priorities, collaborate with colleagues and be flexible
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Introductory knowledge in one or more of the following systems: Hyper-V clustered server virtualization, Active Directory, Windows Servers, and Linux distros
- Broad familiarity with cloud computing, Networking and Telecom verticals
- Experience working in multi-domain environments
- Strong knowledge of web applications and basic software such as Google Suite
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse team
- Ability to thrive in an environment of change while constantly adapting and evolving with our organization
- Familiar with agile methodologies
- Strong communication and stakeholder management experience
- Basic understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc., partners with the world's leading universities to select, design and deliver premium online short courses which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.