What We’re Looking For:
Admissions Manager is a critical role responsible for prospective student recruitment, owning the university partner relationship as it relates to student recruitment, and managing a team of dedicated Admissions Counselors. Manager, Admissions will serve as the operational champion to drive great outcomes for our students. The primary responsibility of this position is to actively manage a team of Admissions Counselors to attain the admissions goals established by the Student Engagement senior leadership and to keep internal leadership, program management and external university partner stakeholders aware of current status of the prospective student pipeline. This role will have the primary partner facing responsibilities for managing the relationship regarding admissions and updating the external university stakeholders under the guidance of internal program leadership. (Note that if there are multiple managers on an admissions floor, one manager will be assigned this responsibility.) In addition, this position ensures the admissions and student engagement policies and processes promulgated by senior leadership and our university partners are implemented, and that counselors adhere to strict guidelines regarding quality and consistency with academic institution and regulatory compliance.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Define and outline your plan to manage your team, including setting expectations and communicating senior leadership’s strategy.
- Proactively manage, coach and mentor team members to reach goals while maintaining a positive work environment.
- Develop relationships with external university stakeholders responsible for admissions and communicate the current status of prospective students.
- Monitor and assess counselors to ensure proper prospective student engagement and quality outreach to those interested in the program.
- Work in conjunction with the Director, Student Engagement and Learning & Development Team to effectively train, onboard and identify skill gaps with counselors to drive accountability and a high performing team.
- Identify and communicate challenges with a solution oriented-approach.
- Maintain a professional level of communication with counselors, prospective students, management and internal stakeholders.
- Use reporting and data tools provided by the Directors and Vice Presidents of Student Engagement to assess team challenges (e.g. prospect quality, volume and trends), make data-driven decisions, set expectations, drive positive student outcomes, and ensure accountability.
- Make informed hiring decisions to build an experienced and effective team focused on delivering white glove service.
- Appropriately prioritize and delegate tasks fairly and equitably to benefit team development and meet program goals.
- Learn operational aspects of the admissions department and become an expert on programs, policies and processes.
- Assist with day-to-day operations in admissions including managing scheduling, attendance, etc.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline required; Honours preferred.
- At least 5 years experience in a sales focused environment including a minimum of 1 year experience managing a medium sized team (10) OR At least 5 years experience combined within 2U and external including a minimum of 1 year experience managing a team with similar responsibilities.
- Proven ability to manage a team using South African Labour Legislation (basic knowledge of the BCEA and LRA).
- A strong track record as it relates to meeting Admissions Counselor or Sr. Admissions Counselor competencies, as well as demonstrated development towards Manager competencies.
- Strong sales and customer service background.
- Proven ability to manage a team of highly educated, professional staff.
- Excellent computer skills (Salesforce, Microsoft Office, inclusive of Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Proven ability to motivate a team to achieve defined results that exceed goals, objectives and expectations.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to maintain a fun, casual, professional and productive team atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful, and concise manner.
- Ability to develop other people’s potential/talents.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.