Key Role and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the integrity of the business domain products in your charge.
- Ensure best practices are followed.
- Research, design, implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- Work with business to clarify and define requirements.
- Responsible for the quality of code produced by team members.
- Ensure code is thoroughly tested.
- Responsible for uptime and monitoring.
- Proactively look for improvements and handle implementation
- Provide feedback on technical performance.
- Manage team member’s career paths.
- Run technical interviews.
- Ensure team members have a work-life balance.
- Protect team members’ time.
- Coach developers through complex issues.
- Oversee the team’s day-to operations.
- Support, supervise & line manage direct line reports.
- Monitor & drive excellent performance.
- Communicate clear instructions to team members.
- Motivate team members.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Devise and refine strategies to strengthen team engagement and morale.
- Assess the effectiveness of retention strategies and work with the Senior Director of Engineering to create the necessary interventions.
- Drive sprint planning and effort point delivery.
- Ensure that developers have the resources they require to do their best work.
- Manage leave of team members.
- Allocate appropriate portion of developer capacity to maintenance.
- Work with the Senior Director of Engineering to make sure there are enough resources to handle short, medium and long-term requirements.
- Understand the domain for which you are responsible.
- Work with business to understand their goals and strategy.
- Understand who our users are and what is important to them.
- Help guide business when making technical decisions.
- Manage ambiguity around tasks.
- Lead the companies values.
- Promote continuous self-improvement.
- Accept that the team should be praised when they are successful and the team lead should take responsibility when they are unsuccessful.
- Build a respectful relationship with team members to understand what motivates each member.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 4 to 6 years web development experience.
- A degree in a software development related field beneficial.
- Experience in managing a people or a team.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec preferencial.
- Familiarity with the following concepts: MVC, SOLID design principles and RESTful APIs.
- Exposure to object-oriented programming and relational databases, continuous integration and Git.
What you'll get from us:
A high growth company that is rapidly emerging as a leader in the South African Edtech space
- Continuous training with opportunities for professional development
- A deep commitment to fostering a great work-life balance
- A huge support system
The opportunity to continue your own education: we pay for two continuing education GetSmarter short courses a year for every GetSmarter employee
Why It’s Great to Work at GetSmarter
GetSmarter offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our office is a social place. We believe that a community of motivated, healthy and happy employees is key to a thriving team. This is why we place huge importance on the culture at GetSmarter and creating an environment that brings out the best in our team.
GetSmarter offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Subsidised medical aid
- Subsidised healthy meals and in-house canteen
- Free gym
- Generous paid leave policies
- Free enrolment in two GetSmarter-powered online short courses annually
- Continuous professional development through our Sales Training Academy
- A complimentary caffeine kick every morning and afternoon, made by our in-house barista
- Fun theme days and spontaneous activities planned by our culture squad
About GetSmarter and 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
GetSmarter is an online education company based in Cape Town. We collaborate with leading universities globally to offer premium continuing education short courses that allow working professionals to expand and update their skill set, and advance their careers. In 2017, GetSmarter was acquired by 2U, Inc, a leader in the online higher education market.
2U partners with great colleges and universities to build what we believe is the world’s best digital education. Our platform provides a comprehensive fusion of technology, services and data architecture to transform high-quality and rigorous campus-based universities into the best digital versions of themselves. 2U's No Back Row® approach allows qualified students and working professionals around the world to experience a first-rate university education and successful outcomes. To learn more, visit 2U.com.