What We’re Looking For:
The Intermediate Software Engineer is responsible for implementing and operation of business domain products.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Help to ensure that the integrity of the business domain products are maintained.
- Follow and contribute to best practices when completing work.
- Implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- Certain capacity needs to be dedicated to refactoring or maintenance.
- Research and recommend technology to meet business requirements.
- Define structure of new modules.
- Actively mentor and explain programming concepts to junior members.
- Work with team members to provide story points for upcoming work.
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to junior members.
- Provide timely feedback on work being done to the relevant stakeholders.
- Work with the engineering lead to help grow junior team members.
- Participate in technical interviews.
Accountability for results
- Communicate progress effectively with team members and business stakeholders.
- Make sure best practices are followed by team members.
- Work with juniors to break up tasks into smaller pieces.
- Drive solutions when maintenance issues arise.
- Work with stakeholders to clarify and define requirements.
- Provide business domain knowledge to help drive decision making by business.
- Understand the roadmap and how current work relates to the strategic goals.
- Contribute to developing product strategy.
- Effectively communicate technological limitations to business.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Live the company's values.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve and drive self-improvement.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- ± 3 Years web development experience.
- A degree in a software development related field.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec preferential.
- Familiarity with the following concepts: MVC, SOLID design principles and RESTful APIs.
- Exposure to object-oriented programming and relational databases, continuous integration and Git.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
At 2U, we power world-class online education and in-person boot camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help universities fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our university partners are there to help them succeed.Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. 2U, Inc. has acquired and integrated two companies broadening our portfolio of education offerings into short courses with GetSmarter and boot camps with Trilogy. This role supports our GetSmarter line of business.
GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc., partners with the world's leading universities to select, design and deliver premium online short courses which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.