Key Role and Responsibilities
- Help to ensure that the integrity of the business domain products are maintained.
- Follow and contribute to best practices when completing work.
- Implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- 20% of capacity needs to be dedicated to refactoring or maintenance.
- Research and recommend technology to meet business requirements.
- Define structure of new modules.
- Actively mentor and explain programming concepts to junior members.
- Work with team members to provide story points for upcoming work.
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to junior members.
- Provide peer feedback to engineering team lead.
- Work with the engineering lead to help grow junior team members.
- Participate in technical interviews.
- Communicate progress effectively with team members and business stakeholders.
- Make sure best practices are followed by team members.
- Work with juniors to break up tasks into smaller pieces.
- Drive solutions when maintenance issues arise.
- Work with business to clarify and define requirements.
- Provide business domain knowledge to help drive decision making by business.
- Understand the roadmap and how current work relates to the strategic goals.
- Contribute to developing product strategy.
- Effectively communicate technological limitations to business.
- Live the companies values.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve.
- Drive self-improvement.
- Make sure team members don't get left behind.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 1 to 3 year’s web development experience.
- At least 1 year’s experience with React.
- Familiarity with the following concepts: MVC, SOLID design principles and RESTful APIs.
- Exposure to object-oriented programming and relational databases, continuous integration and Git.
- A degree in a software development related field beneficial.
What you'll get from us:
A high growth company that is rapidly emerging as a leader in the South African Edtech space
- Continuous training with opportunities for professional development
- A deep commitment to fostering a great work-life balance
- A huge support system
The opportunity to continue your own education: we pay for two continuing education GetSmarter short courses a year for every GetSmarter employee
Why It’s Great to Work at GetSmarter
GetSmarter offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our office is a social place. We believe that a community of motivated, healthy and happy employees is key to a thriving team. This is why we place huge importance on the culture at GetSmarter and creating an environment that brings out the best in our team.
GetSmarter offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Subsidised medical aid
- Subsidised healthy meals and in-house canteen
- Subsidised in-house biokineticist
- Free gym
- Generous paid leave policies
- Free enrolment in two GetSmarter-powered online short courses annually
- A complimentary caffeine kick every morning and afternoon, made by our in-house barista
- Fun theme days and spontaneous activities planned by our culture squad
About GetSmarter and 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
GetSmarter is an online education company based in Cape Town. We collaborate with leading universities globally to offer premium continuing education short courses that allow working professionals to expand and update their skill set, and advance their careers. In 2017, GetSmarter was acquired by 2U, Inc, a leader in the online higher education market.
2U partners with great colleges and universities to build what we believe is the world’s best digital education. Our platform provides a comprehensive fusion of technology, services and data architecture to transform high-quality and rigorous campus-based universities into the best digital versions of themselves. 2U's No Back Row® approach allows qualified students and working professionals around the world to experience a first-rate university education and successful outcomes. To learn more, visit 2U.com.