Summary of Job
Responsible for implementing and operation of business domain products.
Key Role and Responsibilities
- Help to ensure that the integrity of the business domain products are maintained.
- Follow and contribute to best practices when completing work.
- Implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- 20% of capacity needs to be dedicated to refactoring or maintenance.
- Research and recommend technology to meet business requirements.
- Define structure of new modules.
- Actively mentor and explain programming concepts to junior members.
- Work with team members to provide story points for upcoming work.
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to junior members.
- Provide timely feedback on work being done to the relevant stakeholders.
- Work with the engineering lead to help grow junior team members.
- Participate in technical interviews.
Accountability for results:
- Communicate progress effectively with team members and business stakeholders.
- Make sure best practices are followed by team members.
- Work with juniors to break up tasks into smaller pieces.
- Drive solutions when maintenance issues arise.
- Work with stakeholders to clarify and define requirements.
- Provide business domain knowledge to help drive decision making by business.
- Understand the roadmap and how current work relates to the strategic goals.
- Contribute to developing product strategy.
- Effectively communicate technological limitations to business.
- Live the company's values.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve and drive self-improvement.
Education and Experience
± 3 Years web development experience.
- A degree in a software development related field.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec preferencial.
- Familiarity with the following concepts: MVC, SOLID design principles and RESTful APIs.
- Exposure to object-oriented programming and relational databases, continuous integration and Git.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.