Nobody cares about your career path or your career objectives as much as you do. And nobody is going to pave the way to your promotion for you, either.
Making the right career choices are going to define whether you end up getting promoted or stagnate in your role, and how quickly you’ll climb up your career ladder.
The best career advice when it comes to getting a promotion?
You’ve got to raise your hand before you get picked; and, before you raise your hand, you’ve got to go above and beyond to get recognised for what you’re worth if you want to make the most of those job opportunities and land that promotion.
Create your own career path profile
In order to get that promotion, you need to map out your career path profile.
A career path profile is a set of the necessary jobs, skills, experiences and courses you need in order to achieve and maintain the career of your choice. This useful tool will help you map out your career journey, ensuring that you achieve the relevant milestones towards your promotion and success.
The career path profile will help you keep track of all your career defining decisions by requiring you to be mindful of the dynamic factors that influence your career including technology, education, and workplace trends.
The career path profile encompasses the following four sections:
- Key responsibilities and daily duties associated with this role
- The career path as a whole and the prospects available for movement from other roles
- Earning potential and the key skills you’ll need to increase your salary
- Education and Training requirements
Ready to create your own career path profile? Here is all the insight you need to: learn what to do, when you need to do it and how.
Five signs you’re ready for a promotion
It’s important to know that you are ready for a promotion before you apply for one. Here are the top 5 signs you are ready for a promotion 1
- You can do your current job in your sleep
- You recognise ways to improve things
- You know you can make a bigger impact on your organisation in a higher role
- You have talents you could use in your job if you had the space to do so
- Colleagues come to you all the time to ask you how to execute various tasks
How do you know if you’re ready to get promoted? Take this career quiz and find out.
Getting promoted means you always stay ahead of the curve through planning.
Have a look through our collection of advice on career planning.