As one of the world’s fastest-growing interdisciplinary fields, the demand for knowledgeable and experienced staff and faculty in healthcare informatics has far outpaced the number of available trainees.
According to research, the field is expected to grow at twice the rate of employment overall in the upcoming years.
This eight-week online course draws on the resources of esteemed faculty and the University of Chicago’s programs in genomic research, translational medicine, and computation. It is designed to give those contemplating a move into healthcare informatics an in-depth overview of the field’s key topics as well as a chance to pursue particular areas of interest.
As part of the course, students will explore how biomedical information systems are created and managed, while also learning about career strategies for how best to achieve their goals within the field.Download course prospectus
What will set you apart
This online short course in healthcare informatics will empower you to:
- Understand the scope and history of this broad interdisciplinary field while assessing future directions for growth and current job opportunities
- Identify how health information technology (HIT) can be implemented and used to create positive change through understanding the current healthcare landscape in the United States
- Gain up-to-date knowledge of electronic medical records (EMRs) and their requirements of integration and interoperability, while familiarizing yourself with issues of meaningful use and other governmental regulations
- Make quality assessments and implement change through an overview of healthcare delivery, implementation science, and clinical workflow analysis and redesign
- Become familiar with the trend of mobile health technology and its application in telemedicine and wearables
- Understand key topics in health information management, including security, privacy, and confidentiality of patient data, as well as mandatory policies regarding data handling and reporting
Receive a holistic overview of the field of healthcare informatics, including emerging and innovative topics, as you follow your learning path through the following modules:
- Orientation module Welcome to your Online Campus
- Course Module 1 Introduction to biomedical informatics
- Course Module 2 The US healthcare system
- Course Module 3 Clinical informatics
- Course Module 4 Personalized medicine
- Course Module 5 Research, ethics and policy
- Course Module 6 Mobile health and telemedicine
- Course Module 7 Managing projects, quality, and operations
- Course Module 8 Innovation and entrepreneurship
Your Course Convener
The design of this online short course is guided by UChicago faculty and academic experts. You can expect to learn from these specialists in a series of video lectures throughout the course.
SAMUEL VOLCHENBOUM, MD PhD
Director, Center for Research Informatics, University of Chicago
Earn a certificate from the University of Chicago
On completion of this course you'll earn a certificate from the University of Chicago Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies, the center of innovative lifelong learning at the University of Chicago, as powerful proof of your holistic understanding of healthcare informatics.
Disclaimer: The visual representation of the certificate here serves as an exemplar, and may be subject to change at the discretion of the University.
“Doing this course has given me a chance to improve my knowledge in Healthcare Informatics and its application in mobile health, telemedicine, and research. It’s also improved my critical thinking skills in many clinical situations. These experiences are truly a revelation for me in relation to sustainability and its integration with business.”
Get More Information
Enter your information below to receive the course prospectus from GetSmarter.
Implementing a screen reader to process this form? Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.* Required fields
Still have a question? These may help
WHAT ARE MY PAYMENT OPTIONS?
You can either pay your tuition fees in full before the course starts, or you may opt for a two-part payment plan for courses nine weeks and shorter. For courses ten weeks or longer, there is a three-part payment plan available. To find out more on payment options please visit our Payment and Financing page.
If you want to find out more about any of these options or you want to know which you qualify for please get in contact with a Course Consultant here.
WILL I HAVE THE TIME?
GetSmarter's learning model is designed to help you, as a working professional, improve your skills without compromising on work and family responsibilities. The course work is broken up into weekly, manageable bite-sized modules, with incremental deadlines, designed to help you pace yourself over the duration of the course and allow you the legroom to work when it suits you best.
At the beginning of each week you'll be presented with all the lectures, notes and assignments necessary for completion. You also have access to your Success Manager who will help you set goals and track key milestones, manage your time, and field any administrative requests you might have.
CAN MY EMPLOYER ASSIST WITH PAYMENT?
By improving your skills and industry knowledge, you'll be having an influence on the success of your organisation.
Why wouldn't you ask your boss to help you fund your studies if it's going to have an impact on the way you do business?
37% of our past students receive financial assistance from their employers. You can ask for help, too. Here is a guide to show you how to receive financial assistance from your employer.
WHAT IS THE ONLINE CAMPUS?
The Online Campus will be your virtual classroom for the duration of your course. Through its easy-to-use interface you'll have access to a diverse variety of course content formats, including: interactive video lectures, module notes, practice quizzes, Prezis, assignment briefs, and additional web resources.
On the Online Campus, you'll also be able to ask questions and interact with your fellow students and Head Tutor through the Online Campus discussion forums. If you're experiencing tech issues or need advice from your personal Success Manager, you can use the Online Campus to get in touch.