Gain a broad knowledge of South African legislation and refine the skills necessary to elevate your capabilities as a paralegal, backed by a UCT paralegal certificate.
This paralegal course gives you a foundational understanding of the South African legal system, on which to build your paralegal knowledge and expertise. You’ll also develop the technical skills, administrative competencies, and paralegal training needed to excel in a fast-growing profession on this paralegal course.
Whether you’re a working, studying or aspiring paralegal, or looking for a stepping stone into law school, this online paralegal course offers you the competitive edge.Download course prospectus
What will set you apart
Achieve new heights with an online paralegal course designed for working professionals:
- Develop a practical understanding of legislation and legal processes, and boost your paralegal training entirely online
- Communicate effectively using legal language, draft contracts and affidavits; and be taken through the step-by-step approach to legal research on this paralegal course
- Learn and refine the specialist technical skills necessary to succeed as a paralegal practitioner
This UCT paralegal course offers training for paralegals that covers everything from the history of South African law to oral advocacy skills.
- Orientation module: Welcome to your Online Campus
- Course Module 1: Introduction to South African law
- Course Module 2: Sources of South African law
- Course Module 3: Classification of South African law
- Course Module 4: Introduction to the legal and paralegal profession
- Course Module 5: Private law and civil law procedures
- Course Module 6: Criminal law and the law of criminal procedure
- Course Module 7: Business law
- Course Module 8: Law of evidence
- Course Module 9: Courts and alternative dispute resolution
- Course Module 10: The Constitution and the impact of HIV/ AIDS on the law
- Course Module 11: Human rights
- Course Module 12: Legal comparison and perspectives on the law
- Course Module 13: Legal language and reading
- Course Module 14: Legal writing skills
- Course Module 15: Legal argument, logic, interview and oral advocacy skills
- Course Module 16: Legal research skills
Earn a certificate from the University of Cape Town (UCT)
On completion of this course you earn a certificate from a top-tier university as powerful proof of your new competencies and use it to set yourself apart from the rest and get recognised in the job market.
Disclaimer: The visual representation of the certificate here serves as an exemplar, and may be subject to change at the discretion of the University.
Your teaching team
At GetSmarter, we improve lives through better education. One of the ways that we achieve this is by bringing rich industry context to an academic environment through our expert facilitation and engagement. We work with university faculty and industry experts to provide a practical, industry lens on the world's leading university subjects.
Commercial Law Attorney
Get More Information
Enter your information below to receive the course prospectus from GetSmarter.
Implementing a screen reader to process this form? Please email us on email@example.com for further assistance.* Required fields
Still have a question? These may help
WHAT ARE MY PAYMENT OPTIONS?
You can either pay your tuition fees in full before the course starts, or you may opt for a two-part payment plan for courses nine weeks and shorter. For courses ten weeks or longer, there is a three-part payment plan available. To find out more on payment options please visit our Payment and Financing page.
If you want to find out more about any of these options or you want to know which you qualify for please get in contact with a Course Consultant here.
WILL I HAVE THE TIME?
GetSmarter's learning model is designed to help you, as a working professional, improve your skills without compromising on work and family responsibilities. The course work is broken up into weekly, manageable bite-sized modules, with incremental deadlines, designed to help you pace yourself over the duration of the course and allow you the legroom to work when it suits you best.
At the beginning of each week you'll be presented with all the lectures, notes and assignments necessary for completion. You also have access to your Success Manager who will help you set goals and track key milestones, manage your time, and field any administrative requests you might have.
CAN MY EMPLOYER ASSIST WITH PAYMENT?
By improving your skills and industry knowledge, you'll be having an influence on the success of your organisation.
Why wouldn't you ask your boss to help you fund your studies if it's going to have an impact on the way you do business?
37% of our past students receive financial assistance from their employers. You can ask for help, too. Here is a guide to show you how to receive financial assistance from your employer.
WHAT IS THE ONLINE CAMPUS?
The Online Campus will be your virtual classroom for the duration of your course. Through its easy-to-use interface you'll have access to a diverse variety of course content formats, including: interactive video lectures, module notes, practice quizzes, Prezis, assignment briefs, and additional web resources.
On the Online Campus, you'll also be able to ask questions and interact with your fellow students and Head Tutor through the Online Campus discussion forums. If you're experiencing tech issues or need advice from your personal Success Manager, you can use the Online Campus to get in touch.